Licorice has been used for centuries in Ayurveda as a revered medicinal herb, known to be wonderful for immune system support. Licorice is considered to be sweet, soothing and in fact is known in Chinese medicine as ‘the great harmoniser’.
The Sanskrit name for Licorice is Yastimadhu, which means the ‘sweet stick’. The sweetness of licorice is in fact 50 times greater than sucrose, but so much healthier. In fact, there’s so much that the humble Licorice root can do for us, you might be surprised!
Here are my top 4 reasons why Licorice is another wonderful addition to your immune supporting bag of goodies:
Wonderful for the lungs
- Licorice liquefies mucous, so it’s great for coughs, phlegm, sore throats, allergies, hay fever.
- It is useful for Asthma, bronchitis and wheezing.
- Licorice is particularly relevant right now as we want to make sure our lungs are clear and functioning well to see us through the COVID19 pandemic.
Nourishing tonic for the nervous system/adrenals
- Licorice is considered a strong adrenal tonic and nourishing to your energy levels.
- It is often used for Adrenal Fatigue and Chronic Fatigue.
- When stress and anxiety cause weakness, licorice provides strength.
- Licorice is particularly relevant right now if you’re feeling a little run down from nervous energy or anxiety as we navigate through this changing and challenging time.
Great for the digestive system
- Licorice is good for digestion and any type of inflammation in the digestive tract due to its cooling effect.
- It’s useful for relieving gastric symptoms such as heartburn, too much abdominal heat, acidity and gastritis.
- Given that digestive function is at the heart of good health, any herb that supports digestion will promote your vitality.
Calms the mind
- Licorice is considered ‘sattvic’ in nature, i.e. useful for inducing a peaceful state throughout body and mind. Its sweet and calming properties are said to enhance feelings of love and compassion.
- It is known for being grounding and enhancing clarity during meditation.
- Licorice is another wonderful Adaptogenic so it assists us regain balance and build stress resilience. Very useful right now!
Licorice is of course a delicious addition to your herbal tea blend due to its lovely natural sweetness and wonderful way of harmonising and balancing the other ingredients; definitely a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.
ORGANIC INDIA has combined the soothing, sweet character of Licorice with India’s legendary sacred herb, Tulsi to create their Tulsi Licorice Spice Tea. The combination of Tulsi and Licorice produces a warming tea with flavor notes of spicy cinnamon, ginger and lemon, and is caffeine-free. This is a delicious way to keep you healthy year-round. Afterall, we all need a little sweetness to help us through challenging times.
Wishing you strong lungs, great energy, good digestion and a calm, peaceful mind!
*Check with your doctor for certain contraindications that can relate to licorice such as some liver disorders, hypertension, heart failure or oedema.
Pole S. (2013). Ayurvedic Medicine: The principles of traditional practice.
Pole S. (2016). Cleanse, Nurture, Restore with Herbal Tea.