Katuki, also known by its Latin name, “Picrorhiza kurroa,” is found in the Himalayan regions of India, China, Pakistan, Bhutan, and Nepal. Used in herbal remedies for more than 5,000 years, Katuki is mentioned in ancient, classical Ayurvedic texts, and is one of the oldest known medicinal plants of Central Asia. A wild plant, Katuki has been threatened by over-harvesting in the past, though efforts have been made to preserve Katuki in its natural habitat.
What sets ORGANIC INDIA Katuki Apart?
ORGANIC INDIA takes every avenue to operate in a way that is Beyond Sustainable, for both the planet and the amazing partners we work with. Our Katuki is grown, harvested and prepared in adherence to the following principles and practices:
- Small Family Farmers. Ethical partnerships are the heart and soul of our company. We contract with small, family-owned farms across India and purchase crops at premium market price. Most of our partners have been with us for more than ten years, and each is an integral part of our herbal family. As indispensable members of our team, we provide our farmers health insurance and ongoing training by agricultural experts who are at the cutting edge of organic and regenerative farming—a no-brainer for us, but an unfortunately unheard-of practice in the industry.
- Regenerative Agriculture. We are deeply rooted in agriculture that is beyond sustainable—it’s regenerative. What this means is our farming practices not only preserve the land, they make it better. Regenerative means replenished soil, improved biodiversity, enhanced water conservation, and increased carbon sequestration. We look beyond our crop to the whole earth and our responsibility to it as a healthy conscious living company.
- Sustainable Production. All of our herbal teas and supplements are produced in our LEED Platinum certified production facility in India, which is a marvel of top-tier sustainable design, construction and operations
Katuki Benefits for Body and Mind
Katuki’s bitter quality is best known for supporting liver and kidney health, but has many additional benefits that make it a well-rounded addition to any wellness regimen:
- Kidney Health. Katuki has nephroprotective properties that help flush the kidneys of toxins.
- Liver Health. Katuki also has hepatoprotective properties and supports healthy liver enzyme levels for efficient liver function.
- Digestive Support. Helps stoke the digestive fire and metabolize fat for healthy digestion and weight management.
- Respiratory Tonic. Katuki helps support a healthy inflammatory response, supporting open airways and the release of toxins from the respiratory tract.
- Balancing. Not only does Katuki energetically help balance the Kapha (water/earth) and Pitta (fire) doshas, it helps support healthy sugar and cholesterol levels, as well as normal body temperature.
Traditional use of Katuki
Katuki has been used in the Ayurvedic health system for 5,000 years throughout the Himalayas. Though a rare herb, it is very highly valued and was traditionally used for both respiratory and liver support in health remedies throughout India, Nepal and China. The treasured herb is mentioned in classic Ayurvedic texts and it is one of the oldest folk medicines in the world.
Who is it for?
Katuki is perfect for anyone looking to detoxify the whole body, from the respiratory tract to the digestive and urinary systems.
Katuki for Healthy Conscious Living
ORGANIC INDIA’s organic Katuki is cultivated at high altitudes in the Himalayan foothills to avoid over-harvesting endangered wild plant colonies. At ORGANIC INDIA, we recognize the vast interconnectedness of life. From seed, to soil, to field, to factory, our products empower the farmers of India, promote environmental and economic recovery, and provide wellness solutions derived from nature’s intelligence.