Shankhpushpi is an ancient Ayurvedic herb used for both cognitive and digestive wellness. The plant is called Mangalyakushuma in Sanskrit, which translates to bringer of good health and good fortune, speaking to its deep physical, mental and spiritual benefits. This milky-white flowering plant, known in the West as Morning Glory, is prized for supporting longevity, memory, intellect, and nervous system function, while expanding one’s worldview. Shankhpushpi is as much of a bodily tonic as it is a mental and spiritual invigorator.
What sets ORGANIC INDIA Shankhpushpi apart?
ORGANIC INDIA takes every avenue to operate in a way that is Beyond Sustainable, for both the planet and the amazing partners we work with. Our Shankhpushpi is grown, harvested and prepared in adherence to the following principles and practices:
- Small Family Farmers. Ethical partnerships are the heart and soul of our company. We contract with small, family-owned farms across India and purchase crops at premium market price. Most of our partners have been with us for more than ten years, and each is an integral part of our herbal family. As indispensable members of our team, we provide all of our farmers health insurance and ongoing training by agricultural experts who are at the cutting edge of organic and regenerative farming—a no-brainer for us, but an unfortunately unheard of practice in the industry.
- Regenerative Agriculture. We are deeply rooted in agriculture that is beyond sustainable—it’s regenerative. What this means is our farming practices not only preserve the land, they make it better. Regenerative means replenished soil, improved biodiversity, enhanced water conservation, and increased carbon sequestration. We look beyond our crop to the whole earth and our responsibility to it as a healthy conscious living company.
- Sustainable Production. All of our herbal teas and supplements are produced in our LEED Platinum certified production facility in India, which is a marvel of top-tier sustainable design, construction and operations.
Shankhpushpi Benefits for Body and Mind
According to research, Shankhpushpi supplements are used in Ayurvedic formulation to help:
- Stress Relief & Mood. Shankhpushpi is known to help combat anxiety, stress and uplift mood, and is found to help reinforce the positive effects of meditation and yoga.*
- Cognitive Support. Because the ancients believed that this plant enhanced the brain’s capacity and focus, Ayurveda recommends Shankhpushpi for recovery from mental fatigue due to intensive studying, prolonged concentration, computer work, and memorization.*
- Digestive Health. Shankhpushpi works as a mild laxative to help support normal digestive function and soothe the gastrointestinal tract.*
- Heart Health. Shankhpushpi has also been associated with heart health, helping to fortify cardiovascular function and mediate healthy circulation.*
- Skincare. The herb is also considered a tonic for the skin, for daily maintenance or for helping soothe after sun exposure.*
Traditional Significance of Shankhpushpi
The flowers (Pushpa) of this plant resemble the shape of a conch shell (Shankh), giving the name Shankhpushpi. Descriptions of the plant date back to the Acharya Charak, an Ayurvedic text from 200 BC. All classical Ayurvedic texts categorize Shankhpushpi as a “Medhya,” or brain tonic. Ayurvedic practitioners consider it to be a special gift from nature, and modern research only confirms the herb’s cognitive value.Yogis love this plant for its ability to deepen their practice while instilling serenity and centeredness.
Who is it for?
Shankhpushpi is the perfect supplement, whether on its own or as part of a multi herbal blend, for any adult who can use cognitive support, stress relief and mood balance*. Pregnant women should only take Shankhpushpi under medical supervision.
Shankhpushpi for Healthy Conscious Living
ORGANIC INDIA’s Shankhpushpi is organically grown according to ancient Ayurvedic regenerative cultivation practices to ensure the highest possible efficacy, or “prana.” All ORGANIC INDIA herbs are processed and tested in compliance with FDA and World Health Organization safety protocols.
At ORGANIC INDIA, we recognize the vast interconnectedness of life. From seed, to soil, to field, to factory, our products empower the farmers of India, promote environmental and economic recovery, and provide wellness solutions derived from nature’s intelligence.