Moist, rich, and plant-based, this Mexican Chocolate Sheet Cake is chocolate bliss with delightful kick. ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Cinnamon Rose Tea and Organic Whole Husk Psyllium mingle with a just-right touch of cayenne pepper to elevate the supreme complexity of flavour that will delight and intrigue. We love how cinnamon cashew frosting beautifully balances the hint of baked-in heat, but feel free to top with your favourite buttercream sprinkled with cinnamon. Whichever way you choose to ice, this is a surefire valentine treat with a perfect bit of warming heat.
The flavourful cinnamon-cayenne combo is so compelling, this oil-based cake uses less sugar than most. We like using zero calorie monk fruit sugar, but regular granulated sugar works as well. Feel free to decrease the overall sugar even more by swapping out the powdered sugar with ¼ to ½ cup of maple syrup. Or, skip the frosting completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Yield: 18 pieces
Cake Ingredients and Instructions
- 2 cups unsweetened almond or other milk, divided
- 1 ½ Tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Infusion Bags ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Cinnamon Rose
- 1 Tablespoon ORGANIC INDIA Psyllium
- 1 cup monk fruit or plain granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable or liquid coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup chocolate chunks or chips
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- Preheat to 180. Lightly coat a 9 X 13 baking pan with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
- In a liquid measuring cup, stir 1 ½ Tablespoons white vinegar in 1 Cup of the unsweetened almond milk to make a plant-based buttermilk and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, cayenne pepper, ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Cinnamon Rose, and ORGANIC INDIA Psyllium, and sugar. Add the oil, vanilla, applesauce, and “buttermilk” reserved from earlier.
- Warm the remaining cup of milk and stir in chocolate chips and coffee until chocolate chips are melting and coffee is dissolved. Add to batter, stirring to incorporate.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool before frosting.
Cinnamon Cashew Frosting Ingredients and Instructions
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in hot water for at least 1 hour, then drained
- ½ cup coconut milk, full fat
- 2 cups powdered sugar (or sub in ¼ to ½ cup maple syrup for a low sugar frosting)
- 1 Infusion Bag ORGANIC INDIA Tulsi Cinnamon Rose
- 1 teaspoon ORGANIC INDIA Psyllium
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup liquid coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Refrigerate several hours to firm up before using.